Tuesday, February 28, 2012

FEW in review: Feb 20-26

This week certainly had its ups and downs.

Happy Stuff
I went to BodyPump for the first time in months. It was very hard and intimidating when I initially tried it, but now that I am almost 20 pounds lighter, I can get through the class easier. I like strength training, so I'm glad to have this as an option.

I tried on some clothes in a fitting room and could see that I was smaller. I've had moments over the past weeks where I feel smaller or lighter, but I haven't been able to see much of a change in the mirror. Also, my pants don't seem to be fitting me any differently, so I'm not sure where I'm shedding weight! But in that fitting room, I could tell I looked smaller overall.

I ate a few servings of vegetables every day without any tremendous effort or planning, so perhaps that's becoming more second nature.

I saw a new low on the scale, which is always nice.

Things I need to work on
I had a LOT of treats each day. I felt like I was spiraling out of control, so I reached out to some people I consider mentors/role models (Kathryn Hansen of Brain Over Binge and Screaming Fat Girl) for advice. They were very helpful and I've decided to work on mastering the art of enjoying something sweet every day in reasonable portions for the time being. I may re-evaluate my diet this summer and see where improvements can be made without triggering a backlash.

I definitely have trouble being attentive/mindful with food in the presence of others. I had company for three days and things got a bit sloppier each day. I'm not terribly worried because I spend much of my time alone and therefore eat alone most of the time, but I'll have to be more vigilant in social situations going forward. This seems to be a lesson I have to learn over and over again.

I'm so much better about having sugary junk food in the house, but I found this week that an array of junk at home is too stimulating at this point. I was doing better when it was just one or two treats to choose from in the pantry. I'd have one thing each day and tell myself that tomorrow would be something else, no big deal. I want to go back to this simplicity. Sampling all sorts of sweets throughout the day makes me feel crazy, even if the portions are small. On Sunday I felt nuts and the portion size for each treat got progressively bigger as the day went on. Sunday involved stimulating junk food variety PLUS socializing and I did not like the results. Something to think about.

Oh, and I definitely prefer neater records. But at least I didn't give up on records altogether, as I might have done in the past. I'm always a work in progress, hence my blogging moniker: Human in Progress.

Monday, February 20th:
traveling today, so less precise records
KIND bar; few bites of a cheese sandwich
3 Oreos and 2 Andes mints
2 breadsticks, pasta, and a couple bites of amaretto tiramisu
upon returning home, had pork chop with slaw (cabbage, arugula, carrot, apple, onion, garlic, celery); 2 pieces of toast; some chips
did not track water today

Tuesday, February 21st:
12:30 p.m. - KIND bar
3 p.m. - 3/4 of a small fry; 3/4 of small order of breaded chicken; 1 Reese's cup; 3 mint Oreos
7:30 p.m. - BodyPump class (I discovered tonight that this class effectively works the rage out of you if you are PMS'ing. It seems that I've been PMS'ing for 10 days now. Is that even possible?)
9:30 p.m. - 3 turkey and pinto bean tacos, contained tomatoes and onions
all eating attentive today; did not track water
gym scale says: 256

Wednesday, February 22nd:
8:15 a.m. - KIND bar
11:15 a.m. - 3 mint Oreos and a Reese's cup
12:00 p.m. - pasta with bison & mushroom sauce
6 p.m. - salad made with Boston lettuce, chicken breast, celery, carrots, olive oil/balsamic; some celery with peanut butter and raisins
10:15 p.m. - more pb/celery/raisins; 2 turkey & pinto bean tacos with sour cream; small amount of milk
all eating attentive. pleasantly sore from yesterday's workout.
did not track water today, and haven't been drinking enough lately

Thursday, February 23rd:
running around today
pasta with bison and mushroom sauce x 2
Oreos and a Reese's cup; celery/pb/raisin snacks
small chicken cutlet, bit of mashed potatoes, bit of corn
about 60 ounces of water; eating mostly attentive

Friday, February 24th:
8'ish: scrambled eggs
1'ish: bison/mushroom pasta
2'ish: part of a piece of chocolate-strawberry cake
5'ish: one Reese's cup
8'ish: salad (chicken, lamb's lettuce, celery, carrot, pomegranate seeds, balsamic dressing) and some chocolate truffles
40? ounces water; eating mostly attentive. Think it'd do me good to tighten up my attention and record keeping a bit.

Saturday, February 25th:
egg salad, lettuce, and pepper wrap; greek yogurt cup with walnuts
Indian buffet for lunch
bison-mushroom pasta
truffles and Oreos
no idea re: water

Sunday, February 26th:
broccoli frittata; roasted cauliflower
shrimp with tomatoes and feta over brown rice
lots of junk food: chips; piece of tres leches cake shared with 2 other people; piece of flan shared with two other people; some truffles; some Oreos; 2/3 of a Shamrock shake (threw the rest away, woo hoo!)
Definitely instances of inattentive eating over the weekend while I had company over.
no idea about water.
30+ minute walk outdoors


Get your own graph at skinnyr

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for doing BodyPump and loving it:) I always feel like a winner when I go to gym after a long break. It´s crazy how big difference 20 lbs makes. I bet you feel much easier to move around. I am waiting to get rid of good 20 lbs and be able to run again. Now my hips are aching and there´s no way I could run this heavy.
    I finally had the courage to take Before pictures and post them in my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, easier movement is one of the best perks I have experienced so far! :D Thanks for stopping by, Em!

      Delete